EcoHome Lab: Home Assistant 1.0
12th September, 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Home Assistant 1.0
This month we will (hopefully) be celebrating the release of Home Assistant 1.0. Home Assistant (https://www.home-assistant.io/) is an open source home automation platform which typically runs on a Raspberry Pi and has wide compatibility with a variety of smart home products and services.
* Intro to Home Assistant.
* What’s new in 1.0?
* How Carbon Co-op is using HA in its smart energy projects.
* Demo: Using HA for temperature/humidity monitoring in the office.
We will then proceed to the pub (The Peer Hat) at around 8pm.
Now in our regular monthly slot – every second Thursday of the month. A hangout for people taking control of their home energy usage and generation. We use open-source hardware and software to gain a better understanding of energy in our homes, how to make the best use of the energy we generate and reduce energy wasted.
Topics will include:
• Home energy monitoring.
• House energy performance assessment
• Sensors – electricity, gas, temperature, humidity, air quality…
• User interfaces, dashboards
• Smart houses and automation
• Aggregation of data sources
• Taking the power back! – Making better use of the surplus power we generate
Who is it for?
• Anyone with skills in physical electronics, web development or programming who wants to use that knowledge to reduce energy and carbon!
• There will be open space for small groups to focus on adding new sensors or hacking the user interface, there will always be a ‘newbies’ group for people interested in finding out more.