FTE: £28,000–£32,000 PAYE/Payroll (dependant on experience)
Time: 0.8 – 1 FTE (Flexible)
Location: Central Manchester, UK
Holiday: 33 days flexible (pro rata) + 5 fixed
Duration: 2 years fixed term contract (with potential to become permanent based on funding); 6 month probationary period
– Send your CV plus a single page covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Friday 13 August 2021
– Put ‘Training manager’ in the email subject
– For questions or queries please contact email@example.com Interviews will be conducted by video call
We’re an equal opportunity employer, value diversity and have flexible working practices. We acknowledge that people from certain backgrounds are under-represented within our sector and our organisation – and we want to ensure we address this. We encourage applications from anyone with suitable skills, no matter their background or ability. If you don’t feel confident enough to apply, get in touch with us, we’d love to chat!
Carbon Co-op is an award-winning and fast-growing energy services and advocacy cooperative that helps people and communities to make the radical reductions in home carbon emissions necessary to avoid runaway climate change.
We’re led by our values: we’re trying to mitigate the worst effects of climate change in a socially just way. The work we do makes a difference, both at the policy level and in terms of practical de-carbonisation of buildings and energy systems. We’re often working at the leading edge of the kind of work we do.
People Powered Retrofit is our end-to-end retrofit service for householders in the Greater Manchester area and beyond. We deliver a range of support services for clients as well as developing retrofit software products and contractor training. Operating as a pilot since 2019, the service is preparing to expand and further commercialise.
About the job
Across the UK, the ability to deliver domestic retrofit at scale is constrained by supply chain skills gaps. The development of new contractor and consultant training has as a result been a key feature of the People Powered Retrofit service to date. Our provision has included the development of new, inhouse training including structured courses, CPD sessions, on site Toolbox Talks, specialist PAS2035-related training and business networking activity.
We have worked with learners including already established retrofit specialists, construction sector practitioners and people completely new to construction – and we are committed to helping people traditionally marginalised from construction on the basis of gender or race, to enter the industry.
Opportunities are now emerging to develop new retrofit supply chain training, including commissions from local authorities and housing associations. We are advising the Greater Manchester Combined Authority on supply chain training and sit on Mayor Andy Burnham’s Retrofit Taskforce.
Our existing courses have been developed and delivered via a mixture of inhouse staff and external industry consultants. We are recruiting a Training Manager to develop and grow our offer. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team including retrofit specialists, technical authors and experienced course tutors.
The role covers the following areas:
- Coordinating course delivery and data collection.
- Developing new courses and programmes in collaboration with technical authors.
- Overseeing the strategic development of the retrofit training service.
- Building and managing key relationships and networks.
- Working with partners to develop training and support the growth of People Powered Retrofit.
- Attending partnership and strategic meetings to shape and influence policy and key networks.
- Identifying and developing opportunities for the training service, including funding.
Coordinating course delivery
- Programming course delivery
- Liaising with and evaluating course tutors
- Working with marketing and comms colleagues to promote courses
- Collecting data to evidence learning and social impacts
Developing new courses and programmes
- Working with colleagues and strategic partners to assess the potential for new service provision.
- Commissioning authors and overseeing the development of courses with structured training outcomes.
Overseeing strategic development of the service
- Building strategic relationships with partners, stakeholders and commissioners.
- Assessing new opportunities and gaps in provision.
- Working with team members to secure new funding and commissions.
Programme project management
- Budget oversight and spend control.
- Resource management.
- Time/resource planning and coordination.
- Level 3 or above in Education and Training (or equivalent).
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good written and numerical skills including ability to use spreadsheets.
- Ability to self manage and work independently whilst being part of a wider team
Skills and experience
- Experience of working as part of a learning and skills team
- Experience of developing new courses and programmes
- Experience of building new relationships and partnerships with stakeholders
- Experience of data collection and management
- Experience of marketing courses.
- Experience of working within low carbon or construction sectors
- Experience of project management
We need staff to demonstrate, understand and apply our core organisational values. These are embedded in all our roles and applicants are expected to demonstrate these values as part of the application process:
- Commitment to collective and community-based approaches to tackling climate change.
- Commitment to Co-operative Values.
- Commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Commitment to environmental justice and tackling inequalities.
Our organisational culture
We are a small (but growing), multi-disciplinary not-for-profit with a mission built around tackling climate change. Community benefit is hardwired into our organisation’s structure, we are ‘asset locked’ and owned by our 300+ ley members who annually elect a management board. We subscribe to international co-operative principles. Our work culture is open and collaborative, we practice self management principles and we employ practices such as user-centred design, service design and agile development. We welcome new team members!
This position requires you to be based in Manchester. Our office is located within the Bridge 5 Mill sustainability centre in Ancoats, close to Manchester Piccadilly. We offer flexible working and the number of days worked from the office is negotiable.
Legal right to work
By the time you commence your employment you must have a legal right to work in the UK. We are currently not in a position to act as a sponsor.
Email us your CV plus a single page covering letter, setting out your reasons for applying and how you meet the essential requirements set out in the Person Specification. If you have any questions or are unsure whether you should apply please get in touch.
After the closing date we will shortlist candidates and then carry out interviews by video call before making an appointment.