Click the image below to view a YouTube video of our recent webinar for Carbon Co-op members looking at contracting routes for householders considering whole house retrofit.
Or visit this page: http://youtu.be/yzGtiTFPaw0
The webinar video lasts an hour but you can view the section content and running times below.
Also, we asked presenters Bill Taylor and Marianne Heaslip to offer their top three tips on procuring energy efficiency and retrofit works.
- Come up with a good brief for your project – clearly outline what you want and your expectations in advance of work starting
- Get the right advisors and contractors for the job – can be tricky but worth it in the long run
- Try not to interfere too much, be certain at the start about what you want, provide a good brief and let the professionals get on with their work
- A good brief and understanding of your priorities, where you are willing to compromise and where you are not willing to compromise.
- Don’t get too frustrated on time spent in advance planning things, it will save stress and worry further down the line
- Be clear within your project team on the different roles and responsibilities so people don’t stand on each others toes and duplicate work
The webinar video covers:
- Introductions (00.00-03.00 mins)
- Householder expectations (03.00-07.20 mins)
- The tension between Time/Cost/Quality (07.20-19.32 mins)
- Procurement options (19.32-28.16 mins)
Traditional vs Design and Build
- Appointing Professionals (28.16-46.55 mins)
Who do you need? Who does what?
What is the role of the householder in this?
- Appointing contractors (46.55-01.01.00 mins)
What should a householder look for in a builder?
Types of builders, where would you find any of these? Where do you start
- The scope of a list of approved retrofit/energy efficiency contractors (01.01.00-01.03.41 mins)
- Top three tips to successfully commissioning retrofit work (01.03.41-01.06.20 mins)